This salad created by one of favourite chefs and customers, Lucas, The Byron Bay Chef, is insanely delicious, satisfying, and looks on point when plated up. It ticks all the boxes: gluten free, dairy free and even vegan 🌱
Not only the salad but the cashew sauce is so versatile that you can use as a base for many other dishes.
The unique texture brought by the apples, combined with the preserved lemon and
herbs create the perfect match.
- 1kg organic sweet potato
- 2 organic apples
- 1 bunch organic kale
- 3 pieces preserved lemon
- 1/2 bunch organic spring onion/shallots
- 1/2 bunch organic dill
- Cashew cream ( recipe below)
- Slice and roast sweet potato at 180-200° C and let it cool down.
- Thinly slice kale and spring onion, Julienne your apples so they look like match sticks, chop preserved lemon and dill.
- Make cashew cream (recipe below).
- Once sweet potato is cold, add all ingredients including cashew cream and mix well.
Pro tip: If salad goes dry, add a little water and mix before serving to bring the cashew cream alive.
- 2 cups of organic cashews
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 20 ml apple cider vinegar
- one lemon salt
Soak the cashews with hot water for an hour. Once the cashews are soft, drain them and placed them in a blender. Add water until you cover the cashews by one finger and add remaining ingredients.
To adjust your texture either add more liquid if it is too solid, make it more creamy by adding more cashews or make it more cheesy by adding more yeast.
Lucas, The Byron Bay Chef has been getting organic seasonal boxes from Farmer Foster and The Farmers Store for years now. He has been cooking up a storm with our produce and runs FREE Masterclasses regularly online- we highly recommend you take a look - we are continually inspired by his intuitive cooking style using what's in the box as inspiration for his amazing creations.You can find Lucas byronbaychef.com or Instagram @byronbaychef