INGREDIENTS – THE DOUGH
- 1 cup (140 g) all purpose gluten free flour (including 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) cold unsalted butter, diced and chilled
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup cold water, iced
NOTE - this versatile recipe allows you use whatever vegetables that you enjoy the most ~ we would also recommend pumpkin, sweet potato and garlic (roasted)!
- 1 capsicum
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion, large
- 3 mushrooms
- 1 eggplant
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (low moisture)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or other fresh herbs
METHOD – THE DOUGH
Note 1. Time poor? ~ GF Pre-made Puff Pastry is an easy alternative.
Note 2. Always begin with cold ingredients. Dice chilled unsalted butter, and then place it back in the refrigerator to chill again. Begin with cold water, and then add ice to the water.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt, and whisk to combine well. Add the chopped and chilled butter, and toss to coat it in the dry ingredients. Flatten each chunk of butter between your thumb and forefinger so that it’s about 1/8-inch thick.
- Create a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly add the water (reserving the ice cubes), mixing gently until the dough begins to come together.
- With floured hands, press together the dough into a disk. If there are any crumbly, dry spots at this point, add more water by the teaspoonful and press together with your hands.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle the top lightly with more flour, and roll out into a rough rectangle that is about 1 inch thick.
- Sprinkle the dough lightly with more flour, fold it over on itself in thirds like you would a business letter, sprinkle again with flour, and roll out the dough once again into a rectangle about 1 inch thick.
- Repeat the process of rolling, sprinkling and folding at least once more, this time ending with a rectangle about 1/2-inch thick.
- Using a pizza wheel, pastry cutter or sharp knife, slice the rectangle in half
- along the length, creating two rectangles of equal size, and roll each separately in thirds once more.
- Wrap each piece of dough securely in plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to chill until firm (30 minutes to an hour).
METHOD THE TART
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare and cut vegetables to desired size. Coat with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Roast for approximately 25 minutes, occasionally turning the vegetables. Remove from oven when lightly browned.
- Dust the countertop. Grease a loose-bottomed tart pan.
- Take portion of your dough and roll it out to approx. ¼” thick. Then use to line prepared pan, trimming to fit.
- Line pastry with parchment paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Blind-bake pastry for 20 minutes.
- Remove paper and the weights or rice and bake for 5 minutes more. Cool slightly.
- Spread the parmesan and mozzarella cheese over the bottom of tart. Sprinkle the oregano on top of the cheese.
- Arrange the vegetables over cheese.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes