Organic Beetroot & Pecan Bread (Gluten & Dairy Free!)
This beetroot bread with pecans is a healthy & nutritious snack which is both gluten & dairy free! It is quick & easy to make & can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or as a snack on the go. It is light, moist and moderately sweet, with a hint of ginger to really add depth of flavour. Apple juice and pear is used in place of milk! We have chosen to use all organic produce and pantry items from our store!
- 270 g wholemeal or plain flour
- 200 g organic beetroot peeled & roasted
- 90 g organic pear
- 80 ml organic apple juice
- 2 organic eggs
- 80 ml organic olive oil
- 50 g (0.25 cups) organic sugar
- 2 tsp organic baking powder
- ¼ tsp organic bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp organic ground ginger
- ⅓ tsp sea salt
- 80 g organic pecans chopped (or nuts of your choice!)
Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius. On a baking tray, bake beetroot for 40 minutes or until tender & allow to cool.
Puree the beetroot with the pear and apple juice (we juiced ours fresh!)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius.Grease & line bread pan with baking paper.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and ground ginger. Add salt and stir thoroughly using a whisk and set aside.
In a seperate bowl beat together the eggs, sugar and oil with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
Pour in the beetroot mixture into the egg mixture & stir well to combine.
Add the nuts & flour mixture and stir just to just combine. It is important not to over stir!
Poor batter into the lined bread tin and bake for 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack!
- to save time the beetroot can be cooked in advance
- store in an air tight container in the fridge or freeze (wrapped in baking paper or individually) to make the beetroot bread last longer!