Yasmine, Rae's granddaughter made this delicious Pavlova for Christmas last year. It's become a family tradition. Some members of our family make it better than others but we all give it a go.
Oven temp 180 C
8 organic egg whites
2 cup caster sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon vinegar
1 tablespoon cornflour
- Beat egg whites until stiff (but not forming cracks)
- Continue beating while slowly adding sugar.
- Reduce speed and add vinegar, vanilla & cornflour.
- Run spatula around inside of bowl to separate pav so that when bowl tilted sideways the whole
- mixture will slide out onto lined oven tray. (This way, no air pockets are formed)
- Flatten out slightly to the height you want, forming a circle.
- Leave oven at 180C for ten minutes or so until crust is showing then with electric oven, turn off and
- leave until cold or overnight.
- If you have a gas oven, they lose heat very quickly, so I leave it on at 120C for a couple of hours or so.
- Top with whipped cream and seasonal fruit
Note that this is double the usual recipe, but I never have trouble with waste!!
If kids are making it I suggest separating egg whites into cup first before adding to bowl, in case of yolk breaking – that’s absolutely a no no!